Local July 4th / Independence Day celebrations and fireworks:
LAFAYETTE FREEDOM FESTIVAL
- The city’s annual fireworks tradition continues. Free swim, old-timers softball game, music, food, fireworks, and probably rain. Begins at 5 PM, ends when the fireworks end sometime close to 11. Free. 638 South Main, LaFayette.
SUMMERVILLE FIREWORKS SHOW
- Annual fireworks event in Summerville, Friday July 3 beginning at 6:30. Water slides, free watermelon, sack races for kids. Free. 220 Bolling Rd (Hwy 100), Summerville. Adjacent to Chattooga High School.
PATRIOTISM AT THE POST
- Annual Fort Oglethorpe July 4th celebration, July 3rd beginning at 7:30 PM. Food, music, patriotism, inflatables. (Not clear if the event offers fireworks.) Free admission, $5 parking. Polo grounds at Fort O, near Hutcheson, on Barnhardt Circle.
LAKE WINNIE FIREWORKS
- Annual fireworks shows at Lake Winnie will be Friday and Saturday nights at 10 PM. Included in the price of park admission. Open 10 AM to 10 PM both days, $33.95 admission for Lake Winnie and adjacent SoakYA water park. 1730 Lakeview Drive, Rossvegas.
DRY CREEK TRACTOR PARADE
- Annual “tractor parade” in the Subligna area, Dry Creek Rd @ East Armuchee Rd. Begins at 9 AM on July 4th.
- “At Chickamauga Battlefield, a living historian will present a “common soldier” program at the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center, Lafayette Road, in Fort Oglethorpe, at 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m., and 3:30 p.m. These programs will explore the lives of average people who fought at Chickamauga, and will include the firing of a Civil War era musket.
- “There will be ranger guided car caravan tours of the battlefield at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tours will begin at the visitor center and last approximately two hours. Visitors are encouraged to bring a lawn chair, wear clothing appropriate for the weather and bring water. There are no admission fees for programs at Chickamauga Battlefield.”
Also: real fireworks become technically legal in Georgia on July 1st, so the big home fireworks show you had planned anyway no longer falls outside of the law. Have fun.
Happy 4th of July!